The Wistar Institute
A global leader in biomedical research
The Wistar Institute is the nation’s first independent institution devoted to biomedical research, training the next generation of leaders in science and supporting the innovation ecosystem. Continuing a rich history of discoveries and biomedical breakthroughs, Wistar today is an international leader in basic biomedical research in cancer, immunology and infectious diseases, with a focus on discoveries leading to the development of novel therapies and vaccines. Our global team of world-class scientists are creating novel early-stage discoveries that play a key role in advancing health throughout the world. Wistar’s enduring legacy of exceptional science and distinctive approaches to collaboration among scientific investigators and academic and industry partners uniquely positions Wistar as a global leader in early-stage discoveries for some of the world’s deadliest diseases.
Today’s Discoveries. Tomorrow’s Cures.
Wistar discoveries include significant research technologies and tools contributing to such lifesaving global health advances as:
- The generation of a rubella virus strain and rabies virus strain that generated numerous vaccines worldwide
- The identification of genes associated with different types of cancer
- The engineering of novel DNA-encoded monoclonal antibodies targeting Zika and Zaire ebolavirus and a novel delivery approach for COVID-19
- Pioneering leadership in one of the world’s most ambitious HIV cure initiatives
“Wistar’s single-minded focus is on making discoveries that will change the future of human health. Our distinctive way of doing science is to harness the creativity of some of the world’s leading experts and foster their collaboration to generate basic discoveries that can be translated into creative solutions to the global health challenges of our time.”
– Dario Altieri, M.D.
- President and Chief Executive Officer
- Director, Ellen and Ronald Caplan Cancer Center
- Robert and Penny Fox Distinguished Professor, Immunology, Microenvironment & Metastasis Program
Advancing a well-trained, sustainable life science workforce
As the oldest, independent, biomedical research institute in the country, Wistar is committed to educating the next generation of scientists and creating a diverse and inclusive pipeline for a well-trained, sustainable life science workforce. Under the guidance of top faculty-mentors in collaboration with industry experts, Wistar trainees flourish in distinct programs designed for high school, undergraduate and graduate students, as well as pre-apprentices, apprentices, and postdoctoral fellows. It is all part of Wistar’s commitment to teach sought-after biomedical skills and prepare the next generation of scientific leaders in the biomedical, biopharmaceutical and biotechnology industries to gain critical knowledge leading to new ways to diagnose and treat illness.
Research. Discoveries. Breakthroughs.
At Wistar, we are changing the future of human health.
Wistar First and Forward
- First independent biomedical research institute in the United States (founded 1892)
- First NCI-designated Basic Cancer Center (with continued recognition and support since 1971)
- Among the nation’s top 3 drivers of innovation, research and tech transfer (Heartland Forward)
- In the top percentiles globally for both innovation and research among leading academic and research-related institutions (SCImago Institutions Rankings).