Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer, and melanoma is the most aggressive form of skin cancer.
Fortunately, the power to prevent melanoma rests within you. There are some simple steps you can take to significantly reduce your chances of ever developing melanoma.
What Can You Do?
- Avoid sunburn and suntan by all means. Sun exposure is the most dangerous between 10AM and 4PM.
- Indoor tanning is NOT SAFER than sun tanning—in fact, tanning beds can more than triple your risk of melanoma.
- See a dermatologist once a year, or immediately if in doubt.
- Also see an ophthalmologist once a year to check the inside of your eyes for damage.
- Wear sun protective clothing, hats and sunglasses.
- Apply broad spectrum UVA UVB sunscreen, SPF 30 or higher, and don’t forget your lips!