Flow Cytometry Facility
The Flow Cytometry Shared Resource provides users with the technological resources and professional assistance for high quality, multiparameter flow cytometry analyses and sorting. The Facility is capable of cell sorting (sterile, at speeds up to 30,000 cells/sec) from homogeneous or mixed cell populations based on up to 32 fluorochromes, sorting up to six separate populations simultaneously, including human-derived samples at BSL-2 level. Facility personnel aid investigators in creating efficient and cost-effective experimental designs, through optimizing cytometry-specific reagent and fluorochrome selection, and offer assistance in operation of analysis instruments. Technical support is also provided for analyses of flow and imaging cytometry data for publication, presentation, and inclusion in grant applications, management of cytometric data (storage, archiving, and retrieval), and management of a site license for low-cost analysis software.
- Multi-parameter flow cytometry analysis (up to 18 color) supporting experimental protocols.
- Fluorescence cell sorting (sterile) at rates up to 30,000 cells/second, sorting up to six populations simultaneously, utilizing 16 fluorescent detectors (ARIA) or 32 fluorescent detectors (Astrios), either under BSL-2 conditions. Included is a capacity for UV-excited fluorochromes, including those for side population stem cell analysis and sorting. The Astrios has the capacity for clonal sorting into plates up to 1536 wells.
- Imaging Cytometry – Amnis ImageStreamX analyses: Assistance provided instrument operation as well as in developing appropriate staining protocols/techniques for assays including molecule co-localization, nuclear translocation, and localization of target molecules to intracellular organelles; and performing acquisition and analysis of experiments.
- Training and Consulting: Train investigators in “user-friendly” analytical flow cytometry instrumentation. Consult and develop appropriate staining protocols/ techniques.
Equipment & Features
- LSRII high-speed analyzer – 18 color, 4 laser (405, 488, 532, 640)
- LSRII high-speed analyzer – 14 color, 4 laser (405, 488, 532, 640)
- FACSCelesta analyzer with high-throughput sampler – 12 color, 3 laser (405, 488, 640)
- FACSCalibur analyzer – 4 color, 2 laser (488, 640)
- AMNIS ImageStream X imaging cytometer
Cell Sorting Instruments (available at BSL2+ level):
- FACSARIAII high-speed cell sorter – 16 color, 4 laser (405, 488, 532, 640)
- MoFlo Astrios high-speed cell sorter – 32 color, 7 laser (355, 405, 488, 532, 561, 592, 640)
For pricing information, visit iLab or contact the managing director.
This facility is supported in part by a Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG) awarded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) to The Wistar Institute Cancer Center.
The Wistar Institute
Luis J. Montaner, D.V.M., M.Sc., D.Phil.
Jeffrey S. Faust, B.A., M.B.A.
John Fundyga, B.S.
Research Assistant II
Jonathan Puleio, B.S.
Research Assistant I